Tuesday, December 18, 2012



SPECIAL NOTE - I've changed a line in Cash in the Apple per the Wilmington Ten update to the following:
                      Next week on Dec. 27th, we will be loading up the bus in Wilmington to bring surviving members of the Wilmington Ten and their supporters back to the State Capital in Raleigh to make our closing statement to Gov. Perdue.

I've made it bold in the copy below. Please change accordingly.

Thank you.

                W-ed- THE SEASON FOR TRUTH

            Those of us who celebrate the Christmas season, know that thousands of years ago, GOD’s Word tells us a child was born to Mary and Joseph in the little town of Bethlehem. That child’s name was Jesus, and He was born to save the world from its sins.
            We call the story of the birth of our Lord and Savior, the “Gospel,” because it is, and always will be, the “good news.” And in the Christian world, all of us consider the Gospel to be …the truth.  
            And so it is, amid controversies over the fiscal cliff, and the senseless, mass murder of twenty innocent children, that we still seek the truth.
            That is why, for the past seven months, we have fought mightily to seek pardons of innocence from Gov. Beverly Perdue for the Wilmington Ten.  You see, the truth is the truth, regardless of whether you see it or not, or recognize it as such.
            And yet, in order for the truth to have meaning in our lives, we are compelled to recognize it as such.
            That is what we’ve been working mightily to do over the past year – making sure that the public, and ultimately Gov. Perdue, finally recognize the truth about one of the most controversial cases in North Carolina’s criminal justice history.
            Thus far, thanks to the GOD-blessed coalition work of the Wilmington Ten Pardons of Innocence Project, the NCNAACP, and other lovers of freedom, justice and equality, we’ve been able to turn a significant portion of the media, and ultimately the public that has paid attention thus far, towards the truth.
            The power of our evidence  has been hard to deny.
            The truth usually is.
            So we are down to the final days for our Governor to discover the truth, recognize it, and ultimately act on it.
            And we hope and pray that she does so in the spirit of the season, and a spirit of justice.
            As the people of Abraham spent forty years in the wilderness before they found the Promised Land, so have the Wilmington Ten. After being falsely convicted and sentenced to the wilderness for crimes they did not commit, it has taken this long to uncover new evidence showing the way …to the truth.
            We are hopeful that the truth about how the man who falsely prosecuted the Wilmington Ten will truly …set them free.
            So, as we quickly approach the day we designate as the birth of Jesus Christ, we hope, and pray, that not long afterwards, we will here the truth confirmed by our governor.
            The Wilmington Ten are innocent!
            What greater Christmas present can there be for the six surviving members, and the families of the four deceased members.
            There is still time to help Gov. Perdue recognize “the truth,” and make this Christmas wish a reality, even if it comes a week or two afterwards.
            Please write her at:
                                                The Honorable Beverly Eaves Perdue
                                                Governor of North Carolina
                                                116 West Jones Street
                                                Raleigh, NC 27603

            As she leaves office after four years of standing strong on the issues that are most important to our community, ask Gov. Perdue to add to that illustrious record, and to an outstanding legacy, by making her very last decision in office…an historic truth.
            Ask her to grant pardons of innocence to the Wilmington Ten.
            From all of us here at the Wilmington Journal, Merry Christmas to our readers, our community, and our sponsors.
            Spread the good news that Christ the Savior is born!

FEB. 6TH , 1971
Special to The Wilmington Journal

            In preparation for reporting the recollections of Rev. Eugene Templeton, the former pastor of Gregory Congregation Church here in Wilmington, we asked Dr. Benjamin Chavis, who was with Rev. Templeton that fateful day of Saturday, Feb. 6, 2012, what his recollections were.
            Here is that exchange, exclusive for The Wilmington Journal:

            WJ - On the evening of Feb. 6th, 1971, the night that Mike’s Grocery was firebombed, Rev. Templeton says you were with him and his wife Donna. Do you remember what you were doing?

            DR. CHAVIS  - On the early evening and night of Saturday, February 6, 1971, I was inside the home of Reverend Eugene and Mrs. Donna Templeton, which was the two-story small frame house church parsonage next door to Gregory Congregational United Church of Christ on Nun Street in the heart of the African American community of Wilmington, NC. 
Someone that evening knocked on the front door to the parsonage and informed Reverend Templeton that Mike's Grocery Store, one block away on a different street, was on fire.  At the time of the knock on the front door, Rev. Templeton, Mrs. Donna Templeton and I were sitting together at the kitchen table having a cup of coffee and I had just got off the telephone with Wilmington Police Chief Williamson, urging him to ask the Mayor of Wilmington to declare a curfew in Wilmington to prevent and to stop armed  white vigilantes from entering into the Black community in Wilmington, to indiscriminately shoot semiautomatic firearms, set random fires and to cause great injury and fear among the law abiding Black residents of Wilmington.
The police chief refused to consider my plea for a curfew.  Gregory Church and the church parsonage were being shot at repeatedly on that Saturday night by those well-armed vigilantes who called themselves the ROWP (Rights of White People Organization). 
After hearing what was said at the door about the fire at Mike's Grocery, the three of us pause to hold hands and prayed to God in the name of Jesus Christ for grace, mercy and justice.  We remained in the house that evening together and did not go outside the house except for a brief period after about two hours later, when a subsequent knock on the parsonage front door occurred to inform us that Mike's store had burned to the ground and now a residence that was next door to Mike's Grocery was on fire and that there was an elderly woman still inside of that house..... so I went quickly outside that parsonage at that point to help rescue the elderly woman from her burning house, and also to help remove furniture from the burning house to the sidewalk in front of her house.
I returned back to the church parsonage to meet again with Rev. Templeton shortly thereafter, and spent the night in the second floor of the parsonage in Rev. Templeton's study where there was a small bed.

WJ – The following day, Feb. 7, 1971, you and Rev. Templeton had church service, and then all of you left Gregory, driving to Raleigh, before the National Guard stormed the church.

DR. CHAVIS - The shooting [by white vigilantes] at the church and at the surrounding homes there on Nun Street continued throughout that Saturday night and into the morning of Sunday, February 7, 1971.  
It was too dangerous to have a full worship service on that Sunday morning... so there was a short abbreviated worship service at 11a.m.  At about 4pm on that Sunday, we held a community and church members meeting inside the church, and it was decided that we all should immediately evacuate both the church and the parsonage for the safety of people who had been staying and meeting inside the church for the past seven days. 
We organized a six-car and small passenger van caravan loaded with eight persons per vehicle.  I drove my car as the lead car.  Rev. Templeton and Donna, along with several of the young student leaders were also inside my car to Raleigh.
 We all drove safely to Raleigh, NC to the office of the United Church of Christ Commission for Racial Justice, located on Fayetteville Street three blocks from the State Capitol Building. We met there that night with Rev. Leon White and others from the United Church of Christ to plan a press conference for Monday morning.

THE W-TEN WITNESS - Rev. Eugene Templeton (center) seen here in February, 1971 with Rev. Ben Chavis (to his immediate left) and his wife, Donna, was the white pastor who allowed black students to use his church, Gregory Congregational in Wilmington, to plan nonviolent protests. Templeton says amid violent attacks on the church, there were no weapons there, and the Wilmington Ten were falsely convicted [photo courtesy of Wayne Moore]

by Cash Michaels

            When young Rev. Eugene Templeton came to predominately black Gregory Congregational Church in Wilmington in 1969 – the year after civil rights leader Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had been assassinated – he knew that being its white pastor, the second in its history, would be challenging, especially with the dramatic changes in civil rights that were taking place.
            The year before , a federal court had ruled in favor of the NAACP that New Hanover County Public Schools must desegregate, and ordered the racially stratified system to do so.
            But white leaders in the city and county, not pleased with a federal court mandate that, in their minds, essentially took changed their public school system from what they’ve always cherished, decided to retaliate by immediately, and without any warning, close all–black Williston High School, one of the most popular and achievement-driven schools in all of North Carolina.
            The black community was still in shock when Rev. Templeton, then in his early twenties, arrived to lead Gregory. As the United Church of Christ minister worked to earn his place in the community, based on his previous work with black communities in Georgia, black students were experiencing racist treatment in the previously all-white schools they were bussed to.
            There were daily fights. Blacks were poorly treated in the classrooms. They weren’t allowed to carry on traditions they had proudly adopted while attending Williston.
            And in 1971, the last straw was the New Hanover Board of Education ruled they weren’t allowed to commemorate the birthday of Dr. King.
            The students had had enough, and decided to organize to confront what they felt was a school system that was racially discriminatory.
            They boycotted classes, knowing that that would cost the school system state money daily, and sought out a place where they not only could strategize and hold rallies, but also have classes to keep up with their studies.
            Of all of the black churches they approached to seek permission to headquarter at, only Gregory, with its young 24-year-old white pastor, said yes.
            “These were not wild kids,” Rev. Templeton, 69, who interviewed exclusively with The Wilmington Journal in November during a rare trip back to North Carolina, recalls. “These were kids, joined together, in some sense of community, against what they perceived to be a very powerful institution in the school board that had taken their school away, and had given them a very poor substitute.”
            Templeton gave his blessing, and got Gregory’s governing deacon board to sign off on giving the students sanctuary.
            He knew he needed assistance in guiding them, so pastor Templeton called his superiors in the United Church of Christ (UCC), and they soon sent veteran civil rights activist Rev. Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr. to provide leadership.
            Having once worked under Dr. King, Chavis was known as a strong proponent of nonviolent action. It was something the UCC deeply believed in, and Chavis’ mission was to show the black students how to achieve their goals and voice their grievances in a powerful, yet peaceful manner.
            From the very beginning, when Rev. Chavis arrived that first week in February, 1971, that meant there was a special discipline enforced, and no student violated it.
“There was respect for the church,” Templeton says regarding one of the reasons why none of the black students following Rev. Chavis at Gregory ever brought a weapon there. Indeed, Templeton says the church was “off-limits for most things, except for the meetings. We needed the church because it provided the meeting space.”
            Having weapons at the church, or indeed, fighting back against the gun attacks from the white supremacists riding on pickup trucks through the streets, would have given the authorities all of the justification they would need to storm the church at anytime that week, and undermine the nonviolent principles Chavis and the students were firmly standing on.
Templeton says, “There was no sense of responsibility anywhere” by the white power structure in Wilmington about the racist conditions black students had to endure in New Hanover County Public Schools.
            Their only concern, Rev. Templeton confirms, was that that “black radical outsider,” Ben Chavis, had come to town to stirrup trouble. The media was making sure that Rev. Chavis was held responsible for every arson, every disturbance, every bullet fired and every person hurt or killed during a tumultuous week that saw the port city set ablaze.
            “The public message was, “We’re just good people trying to get along in a difficult situation, and this outsider has come in, and unwittingly duped this pastor to go along with him…and [Chavis] has totally ravaged our community,” Templeton recalls. “I know that a lot of white people in town believed that entirely to this day.”
Leaders in Wilmington’s black community cried out to the mayor and police chief to do something to stop the white marauders attacking the church, which was well behind police barricades that the attackers violated regularly. Chavis says he even pleaded for a curfew to be imposed to keep attackers off the street, but the pleas fell on deaf ears with city officials.
            Then it happened.
Saturday, Feb. 6th, 1971 – the infamous day in the case of the Wilmington Ten – Rev. Templeton recalls it beginning with more pickup trucks, with armed members of  the Rights of White People, riding through the streets of black Wilmington.
            At noon, the Gregory governing board of Deacons met, and decided that enough was enough. They voted to have all of the black students to leave the church.
            Templeton says both he and Rev. Chavis felt “very defeated.” The people who had supported them initially were saying, “Stop, your cause is over. You cannot succeed.”
            Templeton recalls feeling a “huge sense of betrayal” after all that they had been through.
            Most of the students left Gregory as ordered, and went back to their homes and families to be safe. About six of the older students insisted on staying with Rev. Templeton, his wife, and Rev. Chavis in the parsonage, in order to protect them from harm, and provide security during the church service the following morning.
            That left the church locked and empty, Templeton says.
            Later that fateful Saturday afternoon, a young black teen from the neighborhood named Steve Mitchell was killed across from Gregory. The death greatly added to the deep depression and sense of failure Rev. Templeton, Ben and those with them were feeling.
            When a white man is also killed nearby, Templeton and Chavis knew they had to go.
            As the night went on, Templeton says they heard sirens from the direction of Mike’s Grocery, the white mom-and-pop neighborhood store that black residents cherished because the Greek owner would always give credit to those in need.
            Someone had firebombed Mike’s, and the sirens were coming from fire trucks answering the call. It wouldn’t be long after public safety personnel were on the scene that someone began firing bullets in their direction.
            Prosecutors say the shots came from the steeple of Gregory Church, not far away.
            Templeton says that’s impossible because there were no weapons in the church, and no one with a weapon at the church for that day, or that week.
            “We were scared of getting killed. We weren’t thinking about shooting firemen and policemen,” the former pastor recalls. [We] had enough going on just to protect [ourselves].”
            Templeton is clear that of the people that were with him in the parsonage that evening, with the exception of Ben Chavis, none of the others who would be eventually arrested and charged with conspiracy in connection with the firebombing of Mike’s, or the alleged sniper assault on firefighters and police officers dealing with the blaze, were there.
            Willie Earl Vereen and James “Bun” McKoy were musicians, and were playing a gig out of town, they told The Wilmington Journal.
            Connie Tindall, before he died last August, told The Journal that Feb. 6th was his birthday, and he was with friends celebrating it at a club nowhere near Gregory church or Mike’s Grocery.
            Judy Mack, a daughter of Anne Shepard – the white female member of the Wilmington Ten – recently told reporters that her mother was a “white woman of size,” and it would have been impossible for anyone to have not seen her in the area if she were preparing to set fire to Mike’s Grocery, or were brandishing a firearm.
            “She’s not somebody you would have missed,” Templeton recalls, noting that he doesn’t remember seeing her that prior week at all.
            The five other student Wilmington Ten members maintained that they were innocent of any charges in connection with the white-owned grocery store.
            “[For prosecutors to target] that whole group doesn’t make sense to me,” the former pastor says.
            And Rev. Templeton insists that Rev. Ben Chavis was with he and his wife for the entire day. In fact, at the time of the firebombing of Mike’s, Templeton says Chavis was with him, preparing in the event that the National Guard stormed the church with teargas during Sunday morning’s church service and Sunday school.
            “[Ben] is with us,” Templeton says. We were getting all of the washcloths we could son that we could moisten them, so we could, if the [church] got teargassed, we could protect the people there.”
“And that’s what we were actually planning. That was the ‘conspiracy’ we were about,” Templeton says.
Early Sunday morning, Feb. 7th, about five people, including a mother with her two children, attending services at Gregory Church. One of the deacons who demanded that the black students leave came to conduct the Sunday school.”
“We give them the washcloths to protect them,” Rev. Templeton recalls. “We tell them what’s going on. We say that in this craziness, we need to have a prayer, and then everybody needs to go home.”
As far as Templeton knows, he says, everybody left.
The pastor gets down on the floor in the rear of a vehicle, with three men sitting above him on the seat, their feet proving cover. With his wife sitting in the front, the car drives out of Wilmington, arriving in Raleigh later that day.
Templeton vaguely remembers Ben Chavis leaving in a separate car.
The National Guard subsequently storms the church later that day, but it is empty.
It is a year later before anyone is arrested, and put on trial, in connection with the events of Feb. 6th, 1971.
The next time Rev. Templeton returns to Gregory is the following weekend for the funeral of Steve Mitchell, the black teen who had been gunned down near the church.
Before the funeral, Wilmington Mayor Luther Cromartie telephoned Pastor Templeton, a call he’ll never forget.
“Look boy,” Templeton remembers the mayor telling him, “I don’t want this funeral to be turned into a circus.”
“And he was so clear that he thought we were planning the funeral as another jumping off point for another …provocation to the town. That got me.”
Templeton performed the service, then left Wilmington for Hickory, NC, because people said it wasn’t safe for him to stay.
It wasn’t long before Rev. Templeton resigned as pastor of Gregory Congregational Church. For years after, he and his wife lived in fear.
That became particularly true a year later when, in 1972, after he was asked to come back to Wilmington to testify for the defense of the Wilmington Ten, Templeton and his wife flew into Fayetteville from New Jersey to catch the connecting flight to Wilmington.
But friends from Wilmington leave an urgent message at the Fayetteville airport for him to call. When he does, Templeton is told that if he and Donna step off the plane to go to Wilmington, word is the Klan will assassinate him.
Donna was pregnant. Templeton decides he can’t take that chance. The couple turns around, and head back to New Jersey, leaving the Wilmington Ten defense team to drastically change their strategy as a result.
In Oct. 1972, a jury of ten whites and two blacks convict the Wilmington Ten, none of whom take the stand in their own defense because, in the opinion of defense attorneys, the state put forth no credible evidence.
Attorney Irving Joyner, who worked with the defense, said their hope was that given the racially charged climate, and the fact that ten Pender County whites dominated the jury, that having the white pastor testify to what he knew might buy them a chance to effectively counter the state’s fabrications.
Without Templeton, however, it made no sense putting any of the Ten on the stand. So the best the defense could do was to show that the state’s witnesses were lying.
But that didn’t matter to the “KKK and Uncle Tom-type” jury, or presiding Judge Robert Martin, who made clear early on that he was pro-prosecution.
The Wilmington Ten were convicted, and sentenced to 282 years in prison, some of which they served before Gov. James B. Hunt - under great worldwide pressure after Amnesty International issued its report, and CBS’s “60 Minutes” uncovered that the state’s witnesses lied and evidence was fabricated – commuted their sentences.
In Dec. 1980, the US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned all of the Wilmington Ten convictions, and directed North Carolina either to retry them, or dismiss all charges.
The state has done neither, leading up to now, when Gov. Beverly Perdue is being petitioned to grant pardons of innocence to the Wilmington Ten.
In the intervening years, Rev. Templeton has worked hard to rebuild his life, deeply haunted by the singular event that has changed his life, and made him live in fear for a good portion of it.
On February 3rd, 2011, after Mayor Bill Saffo apologized to the Wilmington Ten during the UNC-Wilmington commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the 1971 incident, Rev. Templeton, having returned to Wilmington for the first time in years, was greeted as a hero by African-American community for supporting the black students when no other pastor would.
Until that night, Rev. Templeton says he carried the guilt of thinking that he hadn’t done enough forty years ago to help Ben Chavis and the others.
Today, as forty years ago, Templeton insists that all of the Ten are innocent
He says that Ben Chavis is “a man of GOD” who abhors violence, and always has.
Rev. Templeton says if he were to speak to Gov. Perdue personally, he would tell her about the struggle he and Ben went through that fateful evening of Feb. 6, 1971.
“We had been beaten by the church, by the government, and all we had going for us was the rightness of the cause. I will never believe that that makes people guilty of anything,” Rev. Templeton says.
“I ask you to give [The Wilmington Ten] their pardons, so that they can move on with their lives, with as little baggage, from what this horrible sequence has done to them, as possible.”

            [CLINTON] The prison superintendant who allegedly allowed his inmates to have hot sauce rubbed on their genitals for the sexual entertainment of his prison guards, has now retired. Sampson Correctional Institution Supt. Lafayette Hall had been suspended without pay for the incident while under investigation. One of Hall’s correction officers, Anthony Jackson, has resigned, and another David Jones, remains under investigation. Supt. Hall had been at the prison since 2000. The SBI is continuing its probe.

            [DURHAM] The US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals has tossed most of the claims in a federal lawsuit by the several Duke lacrosse players involved in the 2006 alleged rape of a black dancer. The court disallowed all federal claims for damaged made against the city of Durham, but left standing claims under North Carolina law that Durham police violated the players constitutional rights. The dancer, Crystal Mangum, claimed that she was raped by three members of the Duke lacrosse team. State Attorney General Roy Cooper later threw the rape charges out, claiming lack of evidence, and malfeasance by the Durham district attorney.

            [RALEIGH]  As mandated by state law, outgoing Gov. Beverly Perdue has submitted a proposed budget to Gov.-elect Pat McCrory, and among her suggested items – compensation for the victims of the state’s forced sterilization program. The governor has been an advocate for the eugenics victims since she took office in 2009. Perdue established a committee to determine compensation, and then gave a recommendation to the Republican-led General Assembly. The state House passed a compensation bill, but the Republicans in the Senate refused to take up the measure. House Speaker Tillis has said that he’ll push for compensation again when the Legislature reconvenes. No word on whether Gov.-elect McCrory will endorse Perdue’s proposal.


            Durham Sheriff’s deputies stopped a woman entering the Durham County Courthouse Monday who was allegedly carrying several bags of heroin, a razor blade and a screwdriver in her purse. The woman, Kelly Hawkins, 32 of Durham, was arrested and charged with felony possession of heroin, and misdemeanor of drug paraphernalia. Hawkins was released from jail on $4,500 bond.

            Calling allegations that it is propagating “a climate of fear and intimidation,” the Wake County Public School System denied a complaint filed with the AdvancED school accreditation agency from the conservative group, Wake County Taxpayers Association. WCTA has been critical of the Democrats on the board ever since they took over the majority a year ago, and was especially critical after Supt. Tony Tata was fired several months ago. WCPSS says the Democratic majority “has operated openly and transparently.” The system also told AdvancED that it scrapped the GOP’s choice plan because it was causing problems with student assignment.

            Kristin Ruth, the former Wake District Court judge forced to resign after she was tricked into altering other judges’ DWI sentencing orders, was given a reprimand after she pled guilty to failing to discharge the duties of her office. She was ordered to never seek a judicial office again. Ruth was praised for immediately coming forward once she realized that attorney James Crouch had used her to un knowingly backdate many of his DWI cases. Crouch is now serving time in prison for his scheme.

By Cash Michaels

MERRY CHRISTMAS – With so, so much going on in the world, the Christmas holiday season couldn’t have come at a better time.
Is it me, or does it seem to you too like folks are more anxious for Christmas to come than ever before? The joy of the season, the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and, of course, the exchange of gifts and presents, is what makes this time of year so precious in all of our memories, and hearts.
So I hope and pray that you and your family have the most blessed time this Christmas season.
Merry Christmas!
Lord knows we deserve it!
HAPPY KWANZAA – As always, Dec. 26th to January 1st are the seven days of Kwanzaa, a holiday period that is unique to the African-American community, which celebrates the seven African-based principles of hard work and fruitfulness.
Those principles are:
                                    Umoja (Unity)
                                    Kujichagulia (Self-determination)
                                    Ujima (Collective work and responsibility)
                                    Ujamaa (Cooperative economics)
                                    Nia (Purpose)
                                    Kuumba (Creativity)
                                    Imani (Faith)
Since it was founded in 1966 by Prof. Ron Karenga, Kwanzaa has exploded worldwide, reminding those of us of African heritage that, with the exception of GOD, our families and communities come first.
At least that’s the way we look at it at our house.
No matter, Happy Kwanza!
DISGRACE IN NEWTOWN – Almost a week since the unthinkable carnage at the elementary school in Newtown, Conn., and it is still hard to believe that this nation could not protect its children against the evil assault that claimed the lives of 28, 20 of whom were first-graders ages 6 and 7.
The president has been eloquent, if not poignant, in expressing the sorrow of our nation. He vowed that we could no longer tolerate the wanton bloodshed of gun violence in our nation.
We here in the African-American community know far too well the horror of having young, productive and promising lives snuffed out by stray bullets, all because some gangbanger wants to take out some idiot who stepped on his foot, or winked at his woman.
Let’s be honest with ourselves, we cry for these precious babies who are victims of some of the most ignorant, yet vicious acts of violence known to man. But yet, we tolerate it because we firmly believe in our “constitutional right” to blow one another away for something as minimal as a verbal slight.
A member of my family has to be in mortal danger before I’d even consider taking another person’s life, but that isn’t the standard today. The power of life and death that a gun – ANY gun – gives certain people is so intoxicating, it has reached pandemic proportions in our nation.
So let’s be real, we will never be able to control the flow and use of semi-automatic weapons in our society until we get a grip on the insane hunger we, as a nation, have for real blood.
We need to get back valuing life again, if for no one else, our children.
You see what we’ve done…indeed what we’ve been doing to our babies.
What will it take next to get all of us to commit to a real culture change?
I shudder to think what the answer to that question could be?
WILMINGTON TEN UPDATE – In just days, if it hasn’t happened by the time you read this, we are expecting Gov. Beverly Perdue to decide whether to grant pardon of innocence to the Wilmington Ten.
The most likely scenario is Gov. Perdue will wait until she is about to leave office before having her office make the announcement. That is not expected to happen until between Dec. 31st and Jan. 4th
Earlier this week, The News and Observer of Raleigh came out with a powerful editorial endorsing pardons of innocence for the Wilmington Ten. We certainly thank them for that, and hope tat other mainstream newspapers throughout the state, join in the chorus for Gov. Perdue to do justice in this regard.
Next week on Dec. 27th, we will be loading up the bus in Wilmington to bring surviving members of the Wilmington Ten and their supporters back to the State Capital in Raleigh to make our closing statement to Gov. Perdue.
It will be both dramatic, and historic. But it’s all to make the point that, after forty long years, justice must be done in the case of the Wilmington Ten.
We thank you for your support thus far. The work is not over, however. As long as there is still time for Gov. Perdue to make a decision, the Pardon Project and our supporters will continue to build support.
We are also asking, for those individuals, churches or institutions who wish to beyond just signing the petition, to send letters to Gov. Perdue asking her to grant pardons of innocence to the Wilmington Ten ASAP.
Here is that address:
                                                            Hon. Beverly Eaves Perdue
                                                                  Governor of North Carolina
                                                            20301 Mail Service Center
                                                                 Raleigh, NC 27699-0301
            If you want more information about the Wilmington Ten Pardons of Innocence Project, you can go to www.wilmingtonjournal.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheWilmingtonTenPardonOfInnocenceProject.
Please, as we enter this holy season of Christmas, let us deliver peace and justice to those who have been forty years denied.
Thank you.
Make sure you tune in every Thursday afternoon at 4 p.m. for my talk radio show, ''Make It Happen'' on Power 750 WAUG-AM, or online at www.myWAUG.com. And read more about my thoughts and opinions exclusively at my new blog, ‘The Cash Roc” (http://thecashroc.blogspot.com/2011/01/cash-roc-begins.html). I promise it will be interesting.
Cash in the Apple - honored as the Best Column Writing of 2006 by the National Newspaper Publishers Association. Columnist Cash Michaels was also honored by the NNPA for Best Feature Story Journalist of 2009, and was the recipient of the Raleigh-Apex NAACP’s President’s Award for Media Excellence in Sept. 2011.
Until next week, keep a smile on your face, GOD in your heart, and The Carolinian in your life. Bye, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment